Received his Bachelor of Arts degree at California State University at Fullerton, majoring in Music with a special emphasis in Piano Pedagogy and Accompanying. At the university, he studied with Rita Fuszek and Earle Voorhies.
Received a Masters degree in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1981. As an ordained minister, he has served in ministry as a pianist, music director, choir director, arranger and composer for 26 years.
Received his Masters degree in Music Education from Southern Methodist University in 2005. At SMU he studied with Dr. Carol Leone, Head of the Piano Department.
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
- Texas Music Teachers Association (TMTA), Theory Coordinator, 2014-2017
- Texas Music Teachers Association (TMTA), Teacher of the Year, 2017
- Richardson Music Teachers Association (RMTA), President
- Richardson Music Teachers Association (RMTA), Teacher of the Year, 2015-2016
- Pi Kappa Lambda Society, Alpha Eta Chapter, Southern Methodist University
- Member of the Founding Teachers, Carnegie Royal Conservatory: The Achievement Program
Vocation and Family
I grew up on the West Coast in various cities of California and Oregon. At age 7, I began taking piano lessons and continued through high school, eventually enrolling at California State University at Fullerton where my piano skills were challenged and refined. During that time, I studied under the instruction of Rita Fuszek and Earle Voorhies and received the Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in Music with a special emphasis in Piano Pedagogy and Accompanying.
After graduation, I accepted a staff position at a summer and ski camp outside Yosemite, met the woman who would become my wife and married the following year. We both worked at the camp for a year and then decided that I would pursue a theological education in Dallas, Texas, at Dallas Theological Seminary. Upon receiving my Masters degree in Theology from the seminary, I was ordained as a minister and served in church ministry as a pianist, music director, choir director, arranger and composer for the next 26 years. In addition, I had the privilege of teaching piano to many of the children who were members of the church. Since 2010, I have been a full-time piano teacher.
My joy is seeing students:
- successfully play beautiful music at the piano;
- display enthusiasm for the music they are learning; and
- automatically apply concepts and skills learned to a new piece of music.
Children and Grandchildren
We now have 4 grandchildren and are thoroughly enjoying being grandparents - without all the responsibilities of parenting. We are truly blessed that everyone lives close by and that we can see the grandchildren regularly. Nothing compares to the joy they bring to us!