EducationReceived his Bachelor of Arts degree at California State University at Fullerton, majoring in Music with a special emphasis in Piano Pedagogy and Accompanying. At the university, he studied with Rita Fuszek and Earle Voorhies.
Received a Masters degree in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1981. As an ordained minister, he has served in ministry as a pianist, music director, choir director, arranger and composer for 26 years.
Received his Masters degree in Music Education from Southern Methodist University in 2005. At SMU he studied with Dr. Carol Leone, Head of the Piano Department.
Professional Organizations Memberships:
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
- Texas Music Teachers Association (TMTA)
- Theory Coordinator, 2014-2017
- Teacher of the Year, 2017
- Richardson Music Teachers Association (RMTA)
- President, 2013-2016, 2018-2020
- Teacher of the Year, 2015-2016
- Junior Pianists Guild (JPG)
- Vice President, 2020-2022
- Greater Dallas Group Music Teachers Association (GDGMTA)
- Vice President 2021
- Royal Conservatory Music Certificate Program
- Certified Elementary Specialist
- Certified Intermediate Specialist
- Pi Kappa Lambda Society, Alpha Eta Chapter, Southern Methodist University
Vocation and FamilyI grew up on the West Coast in various cities of California and Oregon. At age 7, I began taking piano lessons and continued through high school, eventually enrolling at California State University at Fullerton where my piano skills were challenged and refined. During that time, I studied under the instruction of Rita Fuszek and Earle Voorhies and received the Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in Music with a special emphasis in Piano Pedagogy and Accompanying.
After graduation, I accepted a staff position at a summer and ski camp outside Yosemite, met the woman who would become my wife and married the following year. We both worked at the camp for a year and then decided that I would pursue a theological education in Dallas, Texas, at Dallas Theological Seminary. Upon receiving my Masters degree in Theology from the seminary, I was ordained as a minister and served in church ministry as a pianist, music director, choir director, arranger and composer for the next 26 years. In addition, I had the privilege of teaching piano to many of the children who were members of the church. Since 2010, I have been a full-time piano teacher.
My joy is seeing students:
- successfully play beautiful music at the piano;
- display enthusiasm for the music they are learning; and
- automatically apply concepts and skills learned to a new piece of music.
Children and GrandchildrenMy wife and I have been married 40+ years and live in northwest Garland. Our two grown children and their spouses live in the Dallas area and are all accomplished musicians – violin, flute, cello, horn, clarinet, voice and piano. Over the years, we have had wonderful times playing together and enjoying music as a family.
We now have 4 grandchildren who are all studying piano with me, and we are thoroughly enjoying being grandparents!